View All News
2021 Inauguration Safety and Road Closures
The 59th Presidential Inauguration occurs on Wednesday, January 20, 2021. Whether you are a resident or business owner, stay informed and have a plan for the inauguration week.
Security measures to keep the community safe during the upcoming inauguration are already taking place. MPD reports the following road closures are in effect until further notice (among others):
- Independence Avenue between Washington Ave, SW, and Second Street, SE.
- Constitution Ave between First Street, NW, and Second Street, NE.
- East Capitol Street between First and Second Streets.
- 18th Street at Constitution Avenue, NW.
- 17th Street at Independence Avenue, SW.
- 11th Street at Independence Avenue, SW.
- 12th Street at Independence Avenue, SW.
- 7th Street at Madison Drive, NW.
- 7th Street at Jefferson Drive, SW
Full list of closures
The following bridges will be closed to vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists beginning Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 6:00 a.m. These closures will remain in effect until 6 am, Thursday, January 21. See below for information specific to each of the affected bridges:
- Theodore Roosevelt Bridge – East bound traffic will be closed to all vehicles entering the city. West bound traffic will flow normally, leaving the city.
- Arlington Memorial Bridge – No traffic allowed in either direction.
- I-395 & 14th Street Bridge – North bound traffic will be closed to all vehicles entering the city. South bound traffic will flow normally, leaving the city.
Essential employees who normally cross these bridges to access their place of employment are encouraged to seek access to Washington from the east via 295 North at E. Capitol St., Benning Rd. or New York Ave. (Route 50).
More Information on Bridge Closures
Metro Closures and Adjusted Hours
Metro announced service adjustments for Metrorail and Metrobus to accommodate the expanded security perimeter that will be in effect for Inauguration beginning Friday, January 15 through Thursday, January 21.
Metro will close 13 stations inside the security perimeter, with 11 stations closing on Friday and two additional stations on Saturday and continuing through the end of service on Thursday. During this time trains will pass through the closed stations without stopping.
- Metrorail will operate from 5 a.m. until 11 p.m. on weekdays, 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. on Saturday and 8 a.m. until 11 p.m. on Sunday.*
- Trains will run on a Saturday schedule, every 12 minutes on the Red Line and every 15 minutes on all other lines.
- Beginning Friday, January 15 the following stations will be closed:
- Red Line: Farragut North, Judiciary Square, Union Station
- Yellow Line: Green Line Archives
- Blue Line: Arlington Cemetery
- Blue/Orange/Silver Line: Farragut West, McPherson Square, Federal Center SW, Capitol South, Smithsonian, Federal Triangle
- Trains will pass through the stations without stopping.
- Beginning Saturday, January 16:
- Metro Center and Gallery Place stations will close and trains will pass through the stations without stopping.
- Buses will operate on normal weekday and weekend schedules, except for Inauguration Day.
- Buses will operate on a Saturday schedule on Inauguration Day, January 20. Check timetables for schedule information.
- Customers traveling through downtown should allow additional travel time due to detours and road closures around the security perimeter.
Additional station closures and bus detours may be necessary on a temporary basis during this period for security reasons.
National Mall Restricted Areas
The National Park Service, at the request of and in cooperation with the United States Secret Service, will implement a temporary public closure of the National Mall beginning at 11 a.m. on Friday, January 15 and extending through at least Thursday, January 21.
The following areas will be closed to public use:
- • Constitution Ave, NW from Rock Creek Parkway, NW to 17th Street NW, to include the adjacent sidewalks;
- 7th Street , NW to H Street, NW, to include the adjacent sidewalks;
- H Street, NW to 15th Street, NW, to include adjacent sidewalks;
- 15th Street, NW to Pennsylvania Avenue, NW to include adjacent sidewalks;
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, from 15th Street, NW to 3rd Street, SW, and adjacent sidewalks (except for designated areas for First Amendment activities to be overseen by the National Park Service and United States Park Police);
- 3rd Street, SW, from Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, to Independence Avenue, SW, and adjacent sidewalks;
- Independence Avenue, SW, from 3rd Street, SW, to Ohio Drive, SW, and adjacent sidewalks;
- Ohio Drive, SW, to Rock Creek Parkway, NW, and adjacent sidewalks;
To stay up to date on the 59th Presidential Inauguration from DC Government, text INAUG2021 to 888-777 for updates on public safety, street closures, weather alerts, transit updates, and more.
Updates will also be available on the DC Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA) social media pages including:
Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
If You See Something, Say Something
If you see or hear anything that appears out of the ordinary, contact police. To report immediate threats or emergencies, call 911. To report suspicious activity or behavior, call (202)727-9099. You can also report online using MPD's iWATCH website iwatchdc.org or use MPD's text tip line at 50411.
Signage for Businesses
The Bowser Administration has created "No Guns on Premises" signage for businesses that want to make it clear that guns are not permissible in their establishment for use during the 2021 Inauguration.
If you are wondering if you local bank, library, or other business is open the week of inauguration, give them a call to see if there are any adjustments to their hours or operations.
Capitol Bikeshare stations around the National Mall, Capitol Hill and Union Station will be unavailable until further notice. View map of closed stations.
(Sources: https://twitter.com/DCPoliceTraffic; https://dcist.com/story/21/01/13/inauguration-road-closures-dc-metro-schedule/; https://www.wmata.com/about/news/2021-Inauguration-Service-Adjustments.cfm; https://www.secretservice.gov/protection/inauguration)